Well, we survived it--a week of spring break fun in good 'ol Colorado. We took the Amtrak train (aka the "Bullet Train" if you ask Lars) from Mt. Pleasant, IA to Denver, CO for a week long adventure of hanging out with friends, eating, snowboarding, hiking, (ok, it was just 1/3 of a mile but it was a beautiful trail), eating, sledding, ice skating, shopping (REI, a sporting goods store, makes my husband giddy with excitement), dirt bike riding at an "official" dirt bike park, did I mention eating?, and of course, swimming and hot tubbing. Whew! We crammed a lot in there but we had a blast and already wish we could go back out there soon.
This first post of our trip shows the boys in the hot tub at Katie and Eric's house. The first day there we went to the rec center where they have an indoor water park. Of course I forgot my camera so I have no pictures of that but the kids had a blast and got to get into the hot tub later that night back at the house so I could have my photo op.
The next day we went to Eldora, a ski resort outside of Boulder in a town called Nederland. Maddi didn't come on this adventure so me, Jamie, and the boys got our snowboards on and trekked over to the big mountain known as the "bunny hill". Jamie gave Drew a few pointers to get him going while our friend Eric was kind enough to try and get me down the hill without killing myself. I decided that I like bunny hills in Iowa much better than I like bunny hills in Colorado. I was NOT a fan. Lars also made it down the hill once with Jamie helping him out, then he decided that he just wanted to sit down at the bottom of the hill and just watch. After all, before we even left for Colorado, Lars told us that he didn't really want to ski down the mountains, he just wanted to roll around on them. Being the good mother that I am, I decided to sit with him. Lars started to get really cold so we (I) carried all of our gear back to the ski lodge and listened to him have a near meltdown because he was just "too tired to walk anymore!" Both of our fuses were running a bit short by the time we got back inside so first things first, I decided to set down our snowboards as both of my arms were ready to fall off. I saw a counter with all the other returned snowboards propped up against it and I set Lars' down and then did the same with mine. Apparently I was a little careless with mine, because in true domino effect fashion, my snowboard started to lean into the one next to it, and so on down the line. Fifteen or so snowboards in all, crashed to the floor. Nice.
After picking up the boards and getting mine and Lars' boots off, Lars wanted to sit in my lap. I could tell he was exhausted so I laid him in my lap and looked away for maybe 10 seconds, and by the time I looked back at him, he was sound asleep. We sat in the ski lodge for over an hour and a half, waiting for the others to get done for the day. Lars didn't wake up once and several staff members were kind enough to ask if I needed anything to drink, etc, etc. It was a pretty sweet moment really, and even though I see him as this big boy, I have to remember that he IS only 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment