




Okay, so in the midst of all the rain and bad thunderstorms we were having in early June, we had another adventure race planned on June 8. We have done 1 other of this type of race with our friends Josh & Deana Kerschen and Todd & Tina Davenport. This time we even convinced our friend Jason Cupp to do one with his brother-in-law. Let me just preface this all by saying that when we signed up for this race, we all had visions of bright sunny skies, maybe even a little hot and humid (but hey, anything is better than the 50 degree weather we had at our last race in March, right!?), and overall, a fun, shorter race than our last one which was around 14 hours. (This race was supposed to be around 6-8 hours).
So anyway, we decided to drive over to the race the morning of since it was just over in Boone. While packing the night before we realize our cooler has a leak in it and so I decided I would run to WalMart in the morning before we left. There I was, 4:30am (yes, am) looking for a cooler in WalMart. I grabbed one and got home with time to spare, thinking boy, I am efficient! And, I even got the cooler with the little cup holders on the top. Won't Jamie be proud...Wrong!! Not only were my cupholders overlooked, but I actually got in trouble because I didn't get the cooler that has the wheels and can be pulled! Not just Jamie, but all the guys on our team agreed with him that I definitely bought the wrong cooler. I didn't know it at the time, but this was definitely a sign of the way the rest of the day would go...
As we are driving over to Boone, it is about 6:30am, and we are caught in the middle of such torrential downpours that we can't even see the other van we are travelling with which is right in front of us. Wondering if the race will still even be held, we call the number we were given and Tina politely tells the race coordinator who she is and tells her about the conditions we are driving through, and asks about the status of the race. The response given to her was, "Yes, it's still on. It IS an adventure race after all!" Okay, so not only did they already think we were a bunch of wimps, they even knew Tina's name. We couldn't wait to check in and have them already know us by "the team who called in to ask about the race".
So, we are finally at the race waiting for it to start. The first thing we have to do is run up a huge hill (it is a ski slope in the winter) with one leg tied to our partner's leg. Ok, so far so good. We hop on our mountain bikes from there for some single track mountain biking, and it all goes downhill from there. Because the trails were so wet and muddy, what should have been a 45 minute bike ride, ended up being a 3 hour/push/pull your bike through the mud fiasco. At times we were in mud so high that it would be up to your thigh. No exaggeration--needless to say, I was very frustrated at this point. When we finally made it through, our next checkpoint got us to some canoes that we had to forage to the water, then get in and paddle. The minute we get in the water, the safety patrol people tell us we need to get out of the water because we are now under a tornado watch. AWESOME! Back out of the water, forage the canoes about 1/4 mile (those suckers were heavy) and then decide what to do from there.
We are now at the point where a little discrepancy comes in to play. The women, being the rational, sensible (mothers!) of the group, decide that a tornado is just not the thing for us and we want to quit. The guys, being the more adventurous, "won't let a little rain bother us" types, were not quite on the same page as us...A few little spats here and there and the girls finally got their way, and we decided to call it a day.
To be fair to the guys, the storm ended up blowing over and missing us, (we owe the guys big time) and in all reality if the early part of the race hadn't been so crappy, I probably wouldn't have needed to be such a big baby. I was in such a horrible mood and let's be honest, Hickory Park restaurant in Ames was calling my name by this point. We are planning another race for this fall if it works out...it can't be any worse than this last one, right??