8.18.2008

Lars Takes on Kindergarten






Here we are, the first day of school in the Iowa City School District. Lars' big debut as a kindergartner has finally arrived and he is so excited to finally get to ride the bus with all the big guys in the neighborhood.


We are lucky in that the bus stop is right in front of our house, so every morning the kids are out playing while waiting for the bus. No exception today, except that this time when the big yellow bus makes it's way around the bend, Lars puts on his serious face and turns into all business. A little apprehension, a little excitement. He is so ready. Backpack on, he makes his way over to the door of the bus, turns around and gives me a slight grin, then steps into the bus like an old pro.


As the bus leaves, Jamie, Maddi, and I run to our van and pile in so we can meet the bus up at the school. I can't stand the thought that he might not know where to go or what to do when he gets off the bus. My husband reassures me with a sarcastic, "You know Laura, I'm sure they have never had to deal with first time kindergartners getting off the bus before." Oh well, I am still the mom so "just get busy and drive" is what is running through my head. When we get there, Lars has already found his place in his teacher's line and is ready to go inside. Score: Dad-1, Mom-0.


Ok, but we still have to get him inside and make sure that he gets all of his registration papers turned into his teacher and that the baby photo his teacher wanted brought in the first day of school is also handed in. (aren't I the good mom that I even remember this? I smugly smile as I wonder how many other moms forgot!) I am GENTLY barking orders at Lars, "no honey, your papers are in the other pouch of your backpack", and "Lars, let me put your lunchbox in your cubby", and other various comments that I can't even remember. Jamie is looking at me like I am crazy and politely but firmly says, "Let HIM do it. He has to learn. We won't be here every morning" things of that nature. The next comment he makes to me is, "If we were at home right now, you would be telling Lars to make his own breakfast, make his bed, brush his teeth, get dressed. I am pretty sure he can unzip his backpack with no help from you." Really? Bummer. Guess I gotta let go sometime. Score: Dad-2, Mom-0.


Overall, he had a great day and really likes his teacher. He's at least willing to go back tomorrow!


On a side note, Drew (my big 3rd grader) had overheard me say I was going to follow the bus and meet Lars in his room at school. Drew wanted to make sure I knew that I didn't need to go to HIS room this morning, so I told him, "Oh, I was just planning on walking by your classroom and blowing you goodbye kisses." This was promptly followed with a moderately loud "NO!" Score: Mom-1, Drew-0

No comments: